Escalante, Utah is a small town located in Garfield County with a population of around 800 people. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Utah. It is situated in the southern part of the state, surrounded by mountains, canyons and desert. The climate is generally dry and warm throughout the year, with temperatures ranging from hot in the summer to cold in the winter. Escalante has a rich history that dates back to 1876 when Mormon settlers began to establish communities in the area. Today it remains a tight-knit community that takes pride in its heritage and culture.
Politically, Escalante is part of Utah’s 3rd Congressional District and leans Republican. The economy of Escalante is largely based on tourism, ranching and farming. In recent years it has become increasingly popular as a destination for outdoor recreation due to its proximity to national parks such as Bryce Canyon National Park, Capitol Reef National Park and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.
Education is provided by Garfield County School District which operates two schools: Escalante Elementary School and Escalante High School. Both schools offer excellent educational opportunities for students from pre-K through 12th grade. There are also several private schools located nearby for those looking for an alternative option for their children’s education.
Among the landmarks of Escalante are Hole-in-the-Rock State Park which offers stunning views of the area’s red rock formations; The Pink Cliffs Trail which provides access to breathtaking views; Devil’s Garden which features unique rock formations created by erosion; and Calf Creek Falls which offers visitors beautiful cascading waterfalls surrounded by lush vegetation. Other attractions include Anasazi State Park Museum which highlights local Native American culture; Hell’s Backbone Grill & Farm offering delicious farm-to-table cuisine; and Grand Staircase Inn & Spa providing guests with luxurious accommodations and spa services.
Population: 818. Estimated population in July 2020: 744 (-9.0% change)
Males: 414 (50.6%), Females: 404 (49.4%)
Zip code: 84726
Median resident age: 36.1 years
Median household income: $32,143
Median house value: $100,600
Races in Escalante:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.1%)
- Hispanic (4.0%)
- American Indian (3.7%)
- Two or more races (2.6%)
- Japanese (0.9%)
Ancestries: English (48.0%), Irish (7.7%), Danish (7.5%), German (7.5%), United States (6.4%), French (2.9%).
Elevation: 5812 feet
Land area: 2.9 square miles
Neah Escalante, Utah is a small town located in the state’s southwestern corner, near the border of Arizona. The population is estimated to be around 2,500 people, making it one of the least populated towns in the state. Most of the residents are employed within the community either in local businesses or by commuting to nearby cities for work. The majority of people living in Neah Escalante are White or Hispanic/Latino and range from young families to retirees.
The cost of living in Neah Escalante is relatively low compared to other cities and towns in Utah. Housing costs are generally lower than the national average due to a large number of available rentals and few home buyers. Groceries and utilities tend to be slightly higher than average but still remain cheaper than many other parts of the country. Healthcare is also fairly accessible with several local clinics and hospitals located within an hour’s drive from town. Overall, Neah Escalante offers its residents a comfortable lifestyle at an affordable price point.
For population 25 years and over in Escalante
- High school or higher: 85.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 23.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.7%
- Unemployed: 7.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 10.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Escalante city
- Never married: 19.5%
- Now married: 62.0%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 5.1%
- Divorced: 11.7%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +5 (+0.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Escalante:
- KANE COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 55 miles; KANAB, UT)
- GARFIELD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 56 miles; PANGUITCH, UT)
- PAGE HOSPITAL (about 73 miles; PAGE, AZ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Escalante:
- PAGE MUNI (about 60 miles; PAGE, AZ; Abbreviation: PGA)
- CEDAR CITY REGIONAL (about 103 miles; CEDAR CITY, UT; Abbreviation: CDC)
- GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK (about 131 miles; GRAND CANYON, AZ; Abbreviation: GCN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Escalante:
- ESCALANTE MUNI (about 4 miles; ESCALANTE, UT; Abbreviation: 1L7)
- BRYCE CANYON (about 38 miles; BRYCE CANYON, UT; Abbreviation: BCE)
- WAYNE WONDERLAND (about 40 miles; LOA, UT; Abbreviation: 38U)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Escalante:
- SOUTHERN UTAH UNIVERSITY (about 109 miles; CEDAR CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 5,091)
- SNOW COLLEGE (about 109 miles; EPHRAIM, UT; Full-time enrollment: 2,632)
- DIXIE STATE COLLEGE OF UTAH (about 146 miles; ST GEORGE, UT; Full-time enrollment: 4,347)
- NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY (about 151 miles; FLAGSTAFF, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 15,758)
- UTAH VALLEY STATE COLLEGE (about 173 miles; OREM, UT; Full-time enrollment: 14,182)
- BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY (about 178 miles; PROVO, UT; Full-time enrollment: 29,977)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-UTAH CAMPUS (about 200 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 2,021)
Public high school in Escalante:
- ESCALANTE HIGH (Students: 121; Location: 800 E HIGHWAY 12; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Escalante:
- ESCALANTE ELEM SCH (Students: 83; Location: 50 N 300 E; Grades: KG – 06)